Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Day 2 - Technical Difficulties & Work-Arounds


Day 2

My Current Word Count: 7,036 words
Words Written Today1,569 words
Camp NANOWRIMO goal for today: 3,334 words

08:00 EST
Technical Difficulties & Work-Arounds

I am not getting up as early as I would like but I’m pretty sure this has something to do with the fact that I’m staying up too late. I put the finishing touches on my second post, added it to my combined document (something that I always create so I can easily see what my current word count is for NANOWRIMO events) and updated my word count on the Camp NANOWRIMO website shortly before midnight. I officially wrote 5,467 words yesterday but that does not take into account anything except my blog postings. 
I do not intend to write so much each day; I simply wanted to get my backstory out of the way and it took far more writing than I thought it would (not to mention far more time).

I have tentatively decided that I will create a new Blogger account (here it is!) so that I can cut and paste directly from Word into it. I hope that I can resolve the issue with WordPress—I have been overwhelmed by the response to my blog so far and I certainly love the infrastructure and community that WordPress has—but as mentioned in yesterday’s second post, I have a legitimate need to be able to cut and paste my document. And while it’s nice that I still have the ability to attach my file, who likes opening unknown attachments? I certainly don’t. I will post my new Blogger address as soon as it is ready. I will also post my previous posts there as Blogger does allow direct cutting and pasting from Word, or at least they used to!

I would also like to apologize now and in advance for not checking back with those fine folks who have liked me and/or are now following me or will choose to do so—I will get to you but it’s not too likely to be this month. I am inundated with the writing and the Spanish, which for day one at least, did not get nearly the attention it deserved. Add all of that into the mix of day-to-day normal activities I need to do along with my job search and well, things are just a little bit hectic on my end this month. Please understand; I sincerely want to read what you are writing too, for it is in reading that we gather inspiration for our own writing.

17:15 EST
Editing & Revision

I just spent the better part of the past two hours rereading, editing and otherwise fine-tuning my second blog entry from yesterday. I thought that I was pretty much done with it but that was last night when I was exhausted. Now that my writing has had time to rest as did I, it needed some work. I added a bit here and there and basically tweaked it pre-publication.

While there are plenty of things that didn’t get mentioned you will get the overall idea that I want to convey here: I have had a life-long affinity for foreign languages and for most of my life I have been stymied in my pursuit of studying them at virtually every turn. This has, as I now believe, essentially led me to a form of what Martin Seligman termed “learned helplessness,” in that I came to unconsciously believe that I never would be able to do what I wanted to do most—learn foreign languages.

After regaining my perspective from my recent loss of employment, it has become increasingly obvious to me that I have everything I need right now to learn all of the languages that I want to learn. I do not need to go back to school to do this; I do not need more money and I do not need to have a native speaker as they are already in here in the audio components of my many language programs. Should I look for native speakers to speak with? Absolutely. Is it necessary to have them present with everything else at my disposal? Absolutely not. And I am not even taking into account the mother-of-all-resources, the internet.

We are at a place and time in history unlike any before. Through the modern miracle of the internet, Google, Bing, YouTube and social media, you can locate someone at any time of the day or night who is teaching or otherwise illustrating what you want to do. All you have to do is pick your subject and find them. If you aren’t interested in my journey, create your own path; you are sure to have followers and fellow travelers along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment